HTML Viewer - Minify HTML
When you are looking for the ways to optimize the rendering of documents into HTML, one of the solutions you might want to use is the compression of the output content (HTML, CSS, and SVG). This solution is suitable in case you are providing your content from the web server over the internet. The lower the content user has to download, the faster he will see the rendered document.
GroupDocs.Viewer provides a new setMinify(…) property of the HtmlViewOptions class, that lets you get output content minified. Minification removes comments, extra white-spaces, and other unneeded characters without breaking the content structure. As a result, the page becomes smaller in size and loads faster. The following example demonstrates how to minify output content when rendering MS Word document into HTML.
The following code sample shows how to enable minification.
Viewer viewer = new Viewer("sample.docx"); HtmlViewOptions viewOptions = HtmlViewOptions.forEmbeddedResources(); viewOptions.setMinify(true); viewer.view(viewOptions); viewer.close();
Details Behind Minification
The process of minification almost in all cases provides the output that looks identically with original content in all browsers, but minified HTML content does not pass strict HTML validation. Here is the list of technics that lay behind the minification process.
- Comments (except when they contain IE conditional statements) are completely removed
- Conditional comments are compressed
- Spaces and line breaks inside the tags and between the tags are removed
- Document type declaration is simplified to
<!DOCTYPE html>and all HTML tag properties are removed
- Multiple spaces between words (except when they occur inside the pre or textarea tag) are replaced with single space
- Quotes around tag property values (except inline events) are removed
- Default attributes for “script”, “style” and “link” tags are removed
- Boolean attributes are simplified, therefore
<input type="text" disabled="disabled">becomes
<input type=text disabled>
The embedded CSS content is minified when the setMinify(…) setting is on.
- Remove all insignificant white-space.
- Remove all comments.
- Remove all unnecessary semicolon separators.
- Reduce color values.
- Reduce integer representations by removing leading and trailing zeros.
- Remove unit specifiers from numeric zero values.
Advanced Usage Topics
To learn more about document viewing features, please refer to the advanced usage section.
You may easily run the code above and see the feature in action in our GitHub examples:
- GroupDocs.Viewer for Java examples, plugins, and showcase
- Document Viewer for .NET App WebForms UI Modern Example
- Document Viewer for Java App Dropwizard UI Modern Example
- Document Viewer for Java Spring UI Example
- GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET samples, plugins and showcase
- Document Viewer for .NET MVC UI Example
Free Online App
Along with full-featured Java library we provide simple but powerful free Apps. You are welcome to view Word, PDF, Excel, PowerPoint documents with free to use online GroupDocs Viewer App.